Friday, July 3, 2009

Here is my first real entry in honor of the upcoming holiday. A new tradition in my family is to make a homemade ice cream cake for our Fourth of July celebration. Here is a link to a great recipe I found in a Family Circle mag a couple of years ago. Luckily they have the recipe online at there website. It is absolutely delish! Who doesn't love ice cream cake????

http://www.parents.com/recipe/layer-cakes/layered-ice-cream-cake/

Now, here are some tips:
1. First, I omit the Oreos on top and replace them with fresh raspberries, blueberries, and/or strawberries. I also add some little flag pics and you have a dessert worthy of any Independence Day celebration.
2. Make sure your pan is very cold. Actually put it in the freezer for a few minutes before starting.
3. Work close to the freezer, and only take one or two ice cream sandwiches out at a time. You want them frozen solid. (If you have a deep freezer, this works best!)
4. You may also need to put the pan in the freezer every few minutes to keep everything nice and frozen, especially on a warm day. If it gets melty, you won't have nice neat stripes from the ice cream sandwich cookies.
5. Last tip: You can switch up the ice cream flavors to your liking and add hot fudge and/or crunchies to the center layer to make it even more fabulous!

Let me know what you think. And remember this is my first attempt at this blogging thing, so I hope there aren't too many errors!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. This is gorgeous and I am so excited for your new blogging adventure! You are such a resource and I look forward to seeing your ideas come to life!

    ReplyDelete